Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rhinebeck and Red Scarves

New digital camera and going to Rhinebeck means I have pictures! And I didn't even break the bank - although I was slightly tempted to go beyond the small amount of cash I promised myself to stay limited to. Here's what I got:



One of those was a present for my fave professor.

Another cool thing I got was to see Norma!
To my readership (probably 3 people if I'm lucky): Norma is super-awesome (so is her daughter, but that's another story). Norma helps the Orphan Foundation of America in their coordination of the Red Scarf Project, where former foster children who now attend college receive care packages including hand-knitted red scarves. There's now a fund, too, to take care of other needs the kids and the org have.

So, go check out Norma's blog, and knit a scarf or make a donation! I can tell you firsthand that as a college student, care packages really make all the difference. I have friends here who are international students, and they've told me that checking their mail makes them sad because they never get anything. My mother started sending them cards and even cards really brighten people's days - a care package is amazing. I can't stress how big a difference this simple gesture makes.

Happy autumn, everyone!

No comments: